Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Who even counts November, anyway?

Yeah, I missed a month. I haven't been posting here because, as I've said before, it's hard to write about riding the same trails over and over again. I have achieved a few small milestones, though. You know that crazy cement bridge I swore I'd never ride? Yeah, I ride that now. It wasn't a momentous thing, I just kind of rode it one day and ever since then I've felt obligated. I can also ride down the big insane ramp thing, but not so much up it. That just seems harder than it's worth right now. Maybe in the spring.

We've been riding on Sundays, my usual winter ride day, weather permitting. I've been enjoying doing the longer rides (2 1/2 hours is long for me, shut up) with the old gang even if it means I'm hobbling around for the rest of the day. It's worth is to get the fitness in, to get out in the world, to get warm even when it's cold out. Last weekend it was cold and raining, however, and I don't play that. I didn't even leave the house last Sunday.

As for other stuff, I've finished The New Rules of Lifting For Women program and started a new one called Power Training. It's very similar but I get to pick my own exercises which I like because I'll be damned if I ever do another front squat/push press. Hateful. I am required to do front squats which are also hateful, but not as much.

My most recent workout looked something like this:

Squat Jumps - 4 sets of 5 reps
Romanian Deadlifts - 60/6, 65/6, 75/6, 85/6
Dumbell Row (single arm) - 20/6, 25/6, 25/6, 30/6
negative chin-ups - 2
assisted chin-ups - 60/6, 60/6 (meaning, I had the assisted machine set at 60lbs, so I was lifting my body weight minus 60lbs. Woo.)

Then I did a bunch of ab work and 20 minutes of high intensity intervals on the stepmill. Then I scraped myself off the floor and went home for dinner. The End.

1 comment:

jennifer said...

I just found you via your story on BodiesInMotivation (very inspiring BTW), and I'm intrigued by your weight training story. I'm a road cyclist (I like having both wheels on the same plane, thank you very much!!) and a swimmer, and uhhhh neither of those are weight bearing. I'm fairly small-boned and my OBGN has been on my case for *years* to do regular weight training for bone density improvement. I just hate it though, being cooped up in a gym and getting out of breath so quickly. I don't understand how I can do a long mountain hillclimb and not get winded, but doing a couple leg presses wipes me out. (Well I do understand... it's called LOW GEARING on the road bike.)

Anyway please keep posting about your weight training regimen, I'm looking for inspiration.